Stand Up

“Equality is important, because everyone should be being treated equally, and everyone should be a part of everything that they want to be a part of, even if it means including others that are not usually in your group. We need to be open minded of what other people are because there is LGBTQ now, and then there’s just like other things that we should all be bringing in and just all be willing to accept who they are instead of putting them down because there’s been a lot of people putting them down, and I’ve seen that in the hallways and I actually stood up, because of what I am, and so it’s just really mind blowing that teens our age will still do that, even with all the lessons that we’ve had.

"And so, we all need to take a part in being aware of our actions."

I have enjoyed the lessons because they’ve opened my eyes on how we need to be and how we need to be more open and honest with people, and just include everyone in our group and not leave anyone out, even if it means stepping out of your comfort zone. I have experienced discrimination so far in this school, because I do have a disability and I try not to let that limit me, but just like when I have to leave and go to appointments and stuff like that, the class is like “oh, she’s getting all this special treatment,” and to them it’s not fair.

"But there’s certain things I have to do for myself, that I don’t think other people get."

Some people may be more needy than others, but we’re all the same. I’ve seen a little bit of change in the school since the meetings, but not a whole lot. Like everyone’s still in their cliques and not really wanting to include others, but there’s certain kids that I have seen actually open up, and have put themselves out there, “like hey do you want to come have lunch,” and things like that.

If you see anyone that’s getting bullied, or is being not allowed to join you should stick up for them and say, “hey that’s not cool, why aren’t you guys letting them join,” and just stand up for what you believe in and let your voice be heard. I’m trying to get out of my comfort zone, and let my voice be heard, because it’s really, really important. And so I just feel like we all should strive towards that.”

Breona Diamond